The Department of Commerce Division of Unclaimed Funds reunites Ohioans with their hard-earned but forgotten money by taking reports of unclaimed funds that result when an account becomes dormant, holding these funds for safekeeping, and working to track down the rightful owner.
Ohio has over $2.4 billion waiting to be returned to Ohioans.
While the Division will continue to safeguard your forgotten money in perpetuity, follow these tips to avoid having your funds turned over to the division in the first place:
- Notify business contacts (i.e. banks, utility companies) of your change of address when you move.
- Keep a record of all bank accounts.
- Record all utility deposits, including telephone, cable and electricity.
- Cash all checks promptly, no matter how small.
- Visit your safe deposit box at least once a year.