Web Content Viewer
Taxes FAQs
A man doing his taxes

Taxes FAQs

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state tax collection agencies across the country have seen a surge in attempted income tax fraud. Criminal groups are using stolen social security numbers to file fraudulent income tax returns requesting refunds.

To thwart this type of fraud and safeguard taxpayer dollars, the Ohio Department of Taxation has implemented security measures to confirm the identity of Ohio taxpayers filing income tax returns requesting refunds. 

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

You can correct any errors on your return at any time before you file your return. Simply type over your error and continue. Even if you have completed entering your information and you are viewing your calculated return on the Review Summary page, Ohio I-File provides you with the ability to modify your information before you file. You may also click the "Save Return and Exit" button and then return later to the Dashboard to correct and submit your return.

If you realize you have made an error after filing your return, you will be required to file an Ohio amended individual income tax return. If you made an error on your Ohio school district income tax return, you will be required to file an Ohio amended school district income tax return. You may obtain copies of these forms at tax.ohio.gov. If you would like a form faxed or mailed to you, please call the Ohio Department of Taxation's Automated Forms Request line, toll free 1-800-282-1782.

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

You are a resident of a school district if your primary residence is in the school district. Items such as your voter registration, driver's license and vehicle registration can help determine your primary residence.

For example, a taxpayer attending college in School District A, but who either intends to return to his/her hometown in School District B or does not otherwise consider his/her college housing a permanent residence, would not be considered a resident of School District A.

Another example, a taxpayer who lives in School District C, but is temporarily reassigned to work/live in School District D for a limited duration, would be considered a resident of School District C, even though he/she is not physically present in School District C. The taxpayer's primary residence is still in School District C, as the temporary residence in School District D is not a permanent place of abode.

How do I know what school district I live in?

If you are unsure of your school district, the Ohio Department of Taxation has an online resource called The Finder to assist you. Once you provide your street address, The Finder can locate your school district. 

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

Yes, Ohio I-File and Ohio ePayments will be available for you to use even if you are late in filing your Ohio individual income tax return or Ohio school district income tax return.

Please remember that you may be subject to penalties, interest and other fees imposed by the Ohio Department of Taxation for late filing, nonpayment, underpayment or late payment of your tax liability.

If you are unable to register and this is your first time filing an Ohio income tax return or School District Income Tax return, you are not eligible to file electronically using Ohio’s Income Tax Online Services for the current tax year. 

You may file electronically through a 3rd  party software vendor or file by paper. Paper forms and instructions are available at tax.ohio.gov

If you are not a first time filer and are unable to register, you may call ODT to verify eligibility to use their system at 1-800-282-1780 during normal business hours, 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. 

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

This change will increase convenience for taxpayers filing an amended return. Until tax year 2015, amended returns were required to be filed on a paper return, and refunds were only issued using a paper check. By incorporating the amended return into the Ohio IT 1040 and SD 100 forms, taxpayers will be able to file amended returns electronically and receive refunds as a direct deposit made electronically to their bank account. This will speed up processing and the delivery of refunds.

In addition, tax preparation software will allow the amended return, as part of the 2015 or 2016 form, to be filed electronically rather than as a paper return as was required in the past.

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

The Ohio Department of Taxation (ODT) will not solicit personal identifiable information (PII) from a Tax Alert or any periodic email campaign. Therefore if you do receive an email purported to be from ODT, please do not provide any PII, do not click on any hyperlinks in the email, etc.

ODT emails contain information only, typically contain a link back to www.tax.ohio.gov and may contain another link to a site relevant to the topic of the communication (i.e. link to specific Ohio Revised Code).

All emails being sent from ODT will end in the exchange @tax.state.oh.us and will never ask the recipient to provide PII in an email response.

If you receive an email purported to be from ODT that does not end in this exchange, it may be a phishing expedition/scam. Do not click on any links contained therein and do not provide any PII in response.

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.

IT 1040 annual is due July 15, 2020. View all Ohio tax due dates.

Yes, unless one or more of the following apply:

  • Your Ohio adjusted gross income (line 3) is less than $0.
  • The total of your senior citizen credit, lump sum distribution credit and joint filing credit (Ohio Schedule of Credits, lines 4,5 and 12) is equal to or exceeds your income tax liability (Ohio IT 1040, line 8c) and you are not liable for school district income tax.
  • Your exemption amount (Ohio IT 1040, line 4) is the same as or more than your Ohio adjusted gross income (line 3).

NOTE: If your federal adjusted gross income is greater than $12,950, the Department recommends that you file an Ohio IT 1040 or IT 10, even if you do not owe any tax, to avoid delinquency billings.

Learn more about who must file an Ohio income tax return.

Learn more about Ohio income taxes and view more tax frequently asked questions.