Web Content Viewer
Assistance Programs FAQs
A family lifting up each other's hands

Assistance Programs FAQs

The following individuals may qualify for Medicaid coverage in Ohio: individuals with low-income; pregnant women, infants, and children; older adults; and idividuals with disabilities.

To be eligible for coverage, you must: be a United States citizen or meet Medicaid citizenship requirements; have or get a Social Security number; be an Ohio resident; meet financial requirements. Learn more about the financial requirements of different programs or view examples of financial eligibility by monthly income .

Even if you are not sure that you or your family will qualify for coverage, you should still apply. Check to see if you qualify and apply.

Non-U.S. citizens may be eligible for Alien Emergency Medical Assistance or Refugee Medical Assistance.

You can check the status of your application online or by calling (800) 282-0880.

To find out why your food assistance was discontinued, contact your county Department of Job and Family Services .

You should receive a hearing decision within 60 days of your hearing request if the hearing was about food assistance, and within 90 days for all other programs. For more information, call (866) 635-3748.

You can ask for a state hearing if you don't agree with an action or decision regarding your case or if you think the county agency has not done something it should have. You can request a hearing online, by emailing BSH@jfs.ohio.gov, or by calling (866) 635-3748, option 1. You can also fax your request to (614) 728-9574.

You also can ask for a hearing by writing to State Hearings, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services P.O. Box 182825, Columbus, Ohio 43218.

If you receive a notice from your county agency saying that it plans to reduce or stop your benefits, you can use the notice itself to request a state hearing. Directions for doing so can be found on the notice. Simply fill in the information requested and mail the form to the address provided.

If you need immediate help with food, find your local food bank at ohiofoodbanks.org or by calling (800) 648-1176. Also be sure to apply for food assistance benefits by visiting benefits.ohio.gov or visiting your county Department of Job and Family services .

You can report suspected fraud online or by calling (800) 324-8680.

You can report suspected fraud online or by calling (866) ODJFS-4U (866-635-3748).